RenoQuotes.com Basement Renovation Guide
Last modified: 2018/12/20 | Approximate reading time 4 mins
The basement is a very unique place with regards to the rest of the home. Darker and more isolated than other areas, it is generally used for storage, for a small apartment or for spaces that require good soundproofing such as a home theatre or laundry room.
Are you planning a basement renovation project? We've gathered several articles that have been published on our home renovation blog. These articles have been listed and organized by category, in order to make your life easier.
Basement decor and layout
Oftentimes, the basement is considered like a space of its own, where one indulges in more fanciful decor arrangements. Others decide to opt for a more minimalist decoration. All of this depends on your needs and your preferences. The following articles will guide you in your research regarding the layout and decoration of your basement:
- 6 ways to convert your basement
- How to finish your basement
- Basement renovation: meeting with a contractor
- The costs to remodel your basement
- How to renovate your garage
- How to apply drywall joint compound
- Staircase renovation tips: from installation to maintenance
- This is how much your basement remodelling should cost
Basement excavation and expansion
Has your basement has not been excavated, or are you looking to enlarge it? Note that this is a large-scale project. Make sure that you are well informed before you start things up. Here are some articles that may be useful:
- Basement excavation project: creating extra living space
- House extension project: what you need to know
- The average costs to build a home addition
- The cost of a home addition project
Photo: Flickr- Olger Fallas
Planning to renovate your basement?
Fill out the form so that we can put you in contact with certified contractors from our network
It is not always possible or recommended to dig a basement. In some cases, a crawlspace is better suited to the needs and the structure of the house, as well as the type of land that is under the house. The crawlspace plays a very important role in the ventilation and insulation of this part of the building. To learn more, read this article:
- What is a crawlspace and how to know if your house needs one?
- How to insulate a crawlspace: tips and guidelines
Foundation and concrete slab
To ensure that the basement is in good condition, it is important to look to the home's foundations. These are an integral part of the house's structure, which means that it is very important that they be solid and well-waterproofed:
- Why you should waterproof your foundation walls
- 10 signs that your foundation needs renovation
- How to repair or replace an existing foundation
Entertainment areas and other types of rooms
A basement is the perfect place to create rooms that need to be well-soundproofed and/or to benefit from certain conditions in relation to the temperature. Examples include home theatres, laundry rooms or wine cellars:
Lighting and luminosity in the basement
Most basements receive little natural light, so their lighting depends on lamps and other sources of artificial light. To create a pleasant living space, it is imperative that the space be well-lit. During a basement renovation project, it is important to think about this aspect:
Insulation, soundproofing and ventilation
We want the basement to become a pleasant living environment. To do this, we must make sure that the space is well-soundproofed, well-insulated and well-ventilated. For the building's occupants, this is a question of comfort and health.
- 10 ways to soundproof your home
- How to soundproof a basement
- Renovating your flooded basement
- What is a vapour barrier?
- How to insulate a crawl space: tips and guidelines
Basement doors and windows
Most basements have at least a few windows and doors. The following articles will be useful when you are in the process of thinking about this:
- RenoQuotes.com door and window renovation guide
- How to choose your windows
- Price guide: how much does it cost to install a window?
- How to replace your basement windows
Wall covering materials
Another aspect of basement decoration is the different types of wall coverings that make it possible to transform this rather cold and impersonal space into a warm and pleasant room. The basement can be exposed to a lot of moisture and is generally less well-ventilated than the rest of the house, which means that this aspect must be taken into consideration when choosing the most suitable wall covering material:
- Interior wall coverings: prices and characteristics
- Wall covering inspirations: decorative panels
- Wall covering: concrete and its imitations
- Wall covering inspirations: wallpaper
- Paint and wall covering renovation guide
Hardwood is not a recommended floor material in basements, due to moisture issues. Here are several other materials, some of which work well for this part of the house:
Water infiltrations and other common problems
Several very serious problems affecting the home and the health of the occupants take root in the basement. As a homeowner, you need to be aware in order to recognize the clues when such a situation occurs in your home:
- Radon ingress: how to recognize it and what to do about it
- Water infiltrations: signs to watch out for
- What is pyrite?
- Steps for keeping your basement dry and waterproof
Cover photo : Flickr- Boa Franc
Get 3 renovation quotes for your basement renovation project
RenoQuotes.com can help you get quotes for your basement renovation project. If you submit your project to us, we’ll put you in contact with top-rated contractors. Fill in the form on the homepage (it only takes a few minutes), and you will get estimates from trusted professionals.
Dial 1-844 828-1588 to speak with one of our customer service representatives
Are you looking for something else?