Deck, patio, balcony, terrace: in Canada, each of these terms is used almost interchangeably to refer to open structures that are located outside the house. In general, these structures are attached to the house, whether it be in the backyard or directly on exterior walls, up on a higher floor. These spaces and platforms allow occupants to enjoy the outdoor areas that are a part of their property.
RenoQuotes.com, an online quoting service that helps you with your deck and balcony renovation
RenoQuotes.com can help you find trustworthy contractors. Our network includes hundreds of contractors that have been through a screening process to verify that they have all the necessary licences to do this kind of work.
Tell us all about your needs by filling out the project registration form and we will put you in contact with 3 contractors that will come over to your house to present a quote for the work.
Renovation projects for decks and balconies:
Here is an overview of the different types of projects that are offered by our affiliated contractors:
- Balcony installation
- Balcony renovation
- Deck building
- Painting and staining decks, patio and terraces
- Patios and terraces
- Stairs and ramps
- Different materials: wood, teck, fiberglass, composite, concrete, polymer, Ipe wood, Trex products
Landscaping and exterior renovation projects
Are you planning a large-scale landscaping project that implies several steps, including the installation/renovation of a deck or balcony? We also have companies in our network that are specialized in landscaping. Let us know about the details of the project. This way, we will be able to refer the appropriate people for every part of the project.
Advice for deck and balcony maintenance and materials
- Wood is, without a doubt, the most popular material for outdoor installations and with reason: we’re talking about a material that is noble, warm and rich, and adds a lot of beauty to the area it occupies. There are different grades and essences, with prices varying from one extreme to another depending on the characteristics and the rarity of each type of wood. For example, treated wood, which is the most common material, is relatively affordable, whereas red cedar costs double the price. However, the lifespan of treated wood is 15 years, while red cedar lasts 30 years on average.
- What are the main aspects to take into consideration when choosing a deck building material? First, one must calculate a budget. Of course, we all dream of a fancy deck that is easy to clean and has a lifespan of more than 25 years. However, this doesn’t mean that people should take on a huge debt. Sometimes, other characteristics should be considered more important, like weather-resistance. Certain areas get more sun exposure, while others see intense precipitations and damage caused by weather elements. These aspects must be taken into account when choosing the right material. Also consider the durability and the required maintenance to keep it looking nice.
- Are you looking for a painting technique for decks, patios, terraces and balconies that are built out of wood? Here is a summarized version of the advice given by a RenoQuotes.com in the article How to paint a wooden deck
- Check the weather forecast : the forecast should announce at least 48h of good weather, to ensure the best possible result;
- Start by cleaning the deck’s surface : in most cases, this will simply mean cleaning off the dust;
- Sand and/or strip the wood planks: use of an electric sander is recommended;
- Apply a sealant product on the surface: this product will serve as a primer to prepare the surface for the paint;
- Apply the paint: In general, two coats are recommended. For larger surfaces, apply the paint using a roller and for details, opt for a paintbrush;
- Plan a drying period: Before you install the furniture and start circulating on the surfaces, leave a drying time of at least 24h.
- If you have a fiberglass deck, you should carry out periodical inspections to see whether you find any cracks. In the event that you do notice cracks, don’t wait before you have them repaired. Otherwise, water could start to seep in, causing new cracks to form.
Check out our blog section to find out more information about outdoor terraces, patios, decks and balconies.
Here is a photo gallery showcasing different exterior renovation projects carried out by contractors that are a part of our network:
Are you a patio and deck specialist?
We want to work with you! Fill out our registration form. It’s easy and comes with no obligations. Click here to learn more.
See what our clients think of us