How to Choose Your Kitchen Sink
Last modified: 2018/08/15 | Approximate reading time 5 mins
Are you currently in the process of renovating your kitchen and now have to choose your new sink? Here are 5 steps that you should follow to find the ideal kitchen sink:
1) Determine the important characteristics for your kitchen sink
A kitchen sink has several characteristics. It’s up to you to judge, according to your needs, those that best reflect your needs. Do you find yourself often cleaning dishes? How many people live in the house? Do you own a dishwasher? Will this sink be the main one in the house or will it be a secondary sink reserved for smaller tasks? Start by identifying your needs in order to find the appropriate sink.
Several aspects must be taken into consideration as you go through your thought process: the form and size (single, double, shape, etc.), the material (stainless steel, ceramic, etc.), the type of installation (built-in, recessed, mounted, etc.), the accessories (taps, grinder, grill, etc.) and the price.
2) Delineate the space for your sink
If your budget allows you to do so, try to choose a sink that has all the characteristics you are looking for. Then again, you will have to make sure that you have enough space to install this type of sink. Before you take any concrete steps in your sink shopping process, choose the exact place where you will install it and take precise measurements of the surface around and under the sink. Once you’ve done that, you will be able to start shopping for sink models that fit into the space that is available.
However, if your kitchen is currently being built or renovated, you’re free to pick whichever sink you like. Choose the model and the size that you prefer and share this info with the person that is responsible for designing your new kitchen (contractor, interior designer, kitchen specialist, yourself…).
3) Establish a budget for your kitchen sink
Calculating a budget is one of the main aspects that should be taken into consideration. Without having access to sufficient funds, you won’t be able to buy the sink of your dreams. Before you take any concrete steps, be sure to set aside the exact sum you are willing to allocate for this project. Take into the account the price of the sink, the accessories and the installation – especially if you are doing business with pros. For more information about the price, check out our article “Price guide: kitchen renovations”. Always calculate include about 15% for added expenses stemming from unplanned events.
You may also have to work with a plumber. Inform yourself to learn more about hourly wages for plumbers and take this into account when calculating your budget.
4) Choose the sink model
Several different sink models are available on the market. As we started to mention earlier, certain aspects should be taken into consideration when looking for a kitchen sink:
- Configuration: sinks usually have one or two basins. If you own a dishwasher or have access to another sink, one basin should be enough. However, a double basin could be a good option if you have a large family and/or if you use the sink with frequency.
- Materials: sink basins can be made out of different materials such as:
- Stainless steel: this is the most popular option. It is light, easy to clean and good in terms of hygiene. However, it can easily become scratched. Calculate at least $80 for this type of sink.
- Ceramic: Easy to clean, sanitary and resistant. It is however prone to being damaged by shocks and contact with heavy objects. Calculate at least $100 for a ceramic sink.
- Resin (with or without minerals): easy maintenance, durable and customizable. The only downside with this material is that it is sensitive to corrosive products. Set aside approximately $80 for this type of sink.
- Stone: sophisticated, resistant and durable. However, stone sinks are heavy and more complicated in terms of maintenance. They cost at least $100.
- Installation process: the sink can be installed using various techniques:
- recessed- recess the sink inside the surface that has been conceived especially for it. Great for customization but hard to install.
- installed on the surface- this type of sink is installed on a piece of furniture or on a structure that is located under the sink. The sides are visible. Easy to install but requires a solid structure.
- integrated – the sink is installed under the work surface. No sides or joints are visible, thus creating a smooth surface. Must be fastened securely.
- Accessories: The tap is the main accessory on a sink. A tap can either have one or two handles and the spout can be stationary or movable. A hand shower can also be installed to improve the hand-washing experience. Other options are available, such as a garbage disposal unit or a draining board.
Choose the model that best suits your needs, your personal taste and most of all, your budget.
Before you take out your wallet, compare prices. There is so much competition out there between companies that you will probably find the model you are looking for if you bother to do proper research. If you are planning to shop around on the Internet, try to visit a local store to find a model that you like, so you can have a better idea of what the sink will look like inside your kitchen. This step is crucial: don’t blow your whole budget for a kitchen sink. However, this doesn’t mean that you should pick a flawed model just to save money! The most important aspect is the price/quality ratio.
Once you have bought your sink, the only thing left is to install it. If you have the proper knowledge, the time and the material to do things yourself, this type of job is quite accessible. If not, hire a certified contractor for a guarantee ensuring that your new sink will be well installed. Don’t forget that the expert eyes of a plumber could also be very useful for this type of renovation project.
Get 3 quotes for your kitchen sink renovation project
RenoQuotes.com can help you find a trustworthy contractor for your kitchen sink renovation project. By submitting your project to us, we’ll be able to put you in contact with the best companies in our network. Fill in the form on the homepage (it only takes a few minutes) and you will be contacted by home renovation specialists.
Dial 1-844 828-1588 to speak with one of our customer service representatives
GET 3 FREE QUOTES
You have a project? Let us help you!