This doesn’t mean that you absolutely have to hire a roofer to replace two tiles on your shingle roof. However, when a certain level of complexity and danger is reached, it’s best to give the job to experts.
The roof is one of the main structural elements of a home. If it doesn’t fill its role anymore, the rest of the house will be affected. For example, if the roof is not waterproof, infiltrations could affect the house’s frame.
RenoQuotes.com, an online quoting service that helps you in your search for a good roofer
RenoQuotes.com is here to help you. We have a network of certified contractors. Simply fill out the project form and we will put you in contact with trusted professionals.
When it comes to roof renovations, don’t hire the first person you meet that claims to have the right certifications to do so. You should always work with someone that has the proper licences and insurance policies, as well as an excellent reputation. Your quality of life depends on it.
Here are some of the services that are offered by our roofing contractors:
- Installing and repairing a roof
- Flat roof
- EPDM and TPO roof
- Rooftop terrace
- Slanted roof
- Slate roof
- Green roof
- Shingles (asphalt, wood)
- Asphalt and gravel roof
- Elastomere membrane
- Multilayer membrane
- Commercial roofing
- Roof inspection
- Gutters (eavestroughs)
- Sky lights
4 maintenance and renovation tips for roofs
- To make sure that a roof is in good state, an annual inspection has to be completed. Ideally, due to the local climate, this inspection should even be done twice a year. In any case, the most important thing to do is to go check things out once the winter is over. At this moment, the most significant damage tends to appear, particularly after freezing and thawing cycles which can occur in the spring Here are a few things to look for when you climb on the roof:
- Cracks that are active (that have change since the last inspection)
- Shingles that are removed or damaged
- Gutters, to see if there are roof debris clogging them
- Bricks are the chimney, to see if they are in a good state.
The older your roof gets, the more important the inspection process becomes. It should also be known that a biannual inspection is especially recommended if your house is surrounded by trees.
- While carrying out the inspection, take this moment to do a clean-up. Remove all the dirt and debris that that are accumulating on the surface and in the crevices. Empty out the spots where water has accumulated, before any further damage occurs. Other cleaning instructions will depend on the type of roof covering that is on your house. Don’t hesitate to ask the staff at your favourite hardware store for recommendations in terms of cleaning products and equipment. If you don’t feel like taking up this part of the task, you could always hire someone else to do it.
- If you’re thinking about choosing a type of material that is known for its longevity and ready to devote a certain amount of money to this project, consider choosing a metal roof or a wooden shingle roof. In the first case, the lifespan can stretch well beyond 50 years, whereas in the second one, the average is 30 years.This can mean that once the roof has been installed, other than maintenance and occasional repairs, you won’t have to replace your roof for several decades. It should however be noted that wooden shingle roofs require more maintenance work than metal roofs.
- As indicated above, it is important to be very picky when choosing a roofer. Set up meetings with several contractors for quotes, and choose amongst them based on the quality of the meeting, the price and the services that are included. Above all, never sign a contract with a roofer that hasn’t climbed on the roof!
Check out our blog to learn more about roofing, from average prices for each type of material to maintenance tips.
Here is a photo gallery showcasing different renovation projects carried out by contractors that are a part of our network:
Are you a professional roofer?
We want to work with you! Fill out our registration form. It’s easy and comes with no obligations. Click here to learn more.