Have you decided to hire a general contractor for your renovation project? RenoQuotes.com has a whole network of qualified contractors which hold that title. Describe your project and we will put you in contact with certified contractors.
For large or small-scale projects, general contractors are able to accomplish a wide variety of tasks.
If they themselves don’t have the proper skills to complete the whole job, they will be able to hire sub-contractors to do the rest. You won’t have to accept anything as the general contractor will be responsible for everything that you assign to him. For any type of renovation project, working with a general contractor can be a winning solution.
Here are examples of renovation projects that can be carried out by general contractors:
- Kitchen renovations
- Bathroom renovations
- Home extension projects
- Basement renovations
- Exterior renovations
- Doors and windows
- Exterior cladding
- Wall covering materials
RenoQuotes.com, an online quoting service that helps you find a good general contractor
Are you looking to remodel your kitchen? Have your kids grown out of their small bedrooms? Are you thinking about finally setting up your basement? Each of these projects can be entrusted to general contractors, as they require a collaborate between different tradespeople. General contractors will take care of their own specialties and for the rest, they will hire trustworthy subcontractors.
As a customer, you won’t have to act as a supervisor of sorts throughout the construction process. The general contractor will be there from the beginning, making sure that the final result meets your expectations. Together, you will elaborate the project and they will be responsible for bringing it to completion and for mastering the budget.
This type of service is perfect for people who don’t want to deal with the stress and headaches that are often associated with renovation projects.
3 things to take into account when hiring a general contractor
- General contractors earn this title through different certification systems. Each province of Canada has their own requirements. In Quebec, the RBQ emits two types of licences: specialized contractor and general contractor. The first is only allowed to operate within their field of expertise, whereas the other can apply for all sorts of jobs, and will subcontract any tasks they are not able to complete. In Ontario, to become a general contractor, one must partake in an apprenticeship that lasts 3 to 5 years. The rest of the process to earn an official certification is then overseen by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. There is also an Ontario General Contractors Association which isn’t mandatory. Other provinces have different requirements.
- According to Yves, a general contractor that is affiliated with the RenoQuotes.com network: “A good contractor acts as a guide for their client”. Find yourself a partner, one that you trust and most of all, one with whom all communications move across in a fluid manner. It is very important to get along well with the person that will be responsible for the transformation of your home and moreover, the spending and budget stemming from this project. Yves also added that a good contractor must have the 4 following qualities:
- Know how to listen
- Offer good quality work
- Know how to meet deadlines
- Take care of their clients, even after the work is done
- During the first meeting, you must come prepared so that the contractor can better understand your needs. Try to think about or at least have a vague idea for colours, materials and most of all, the amount of money that you are able to put in for this project. In doing so, the meeting will be shorter and more productive. It is also better to work with plans. In some cases, the general contractor will be able to create the plans or to have them done by a trusted professional. However, if you prefer, you can also look for an architect or an interior designer that will create the plans for you.
Check out our blog section to find out more information about working with general contractors.
Here is a photo gallery showcasing different renovation projects carried out by contractors that are a part of the RenoQuotes.com network:
Are you a general contractor?
We want to work with you! Fill out our registration form. It’s easy and comes with no obligations. Click here to learn more.
See what our clients think of us