RenoQuotes.com Exterior Renovation Guide
Last modified: 2018/12/24 | Approximate reading time 5 mins
The exterior sections of a house and the driveway are one of the first things that we see when arriving home. They are also some of the areas on the property that experience the most wear and tear as they are exposed to bad weather. There are several renovation, transformation and refurbishment projects that can contribute to embellishing the yard and exterior parts of a building, making it more welcoming.
Since our blog contains hundreds of articles, many of which cover exterior renovations, we have decided to prepare a guide to help you find articles that could be useful for you.
Here is RenoQuotes.com exterior renovation and landscaping guide
Cornice, soffits and gutters (eavestroughs)
These three elements each play important roles regarding the air and water-tightness of a home. Therefore, it is important to make sure that they are well maintained.
- How to repair a broken gutter
- How to install eavestroughs
- How to install a soffit from A-Z
- Gutter installation cost guide
- How to repair a cornice moulding
- How to clean gutters
Deck, porch and patio
What better than to spend a lovely summer evening relaxing on your balcony, porch or patio? Several types of materials are used to build these structures which need to be weatherproof. To learn more, check out our articles on these subjects:
- RenoQuotes.com balcony price guide
- The cost of building a deck
- The pros and cons of fibreglass balconies
- How to choose between different types of sunrooms
- How to build a deck
- Which building materials should be used for a deck?
- Deck building materials and construction
The driveway is the last thing that you see when leaving the house and the first that you see when arriving. Therefore, it is important to make sure that it is well maintained and to study the different options for landscaping and paving:
Exterior siding serves to protect the structure of the house and to make it more weatherproof, in addition to improving its' appearance. Dozens of materials are available on the market, making the selection very difficult. To learn more about the characteristics and average prices of these materials, check out the following articles:
- Rediscovering stucco!
- How to clean exterior siding
- The pros and cons of aluminum siding
- Exterior siding: installation and material prices
- Exterior siding: which material should you choose?
- Restoring vinyl siding
- The different types of exterior walls
Staircases that are located outside take a beating. Hot, cold, ice, rain, dirt, etc. The following articles talk about renovating and maintaining different types of exterior staircases:
Planning an exterior renovation project?
Fill out the form so that we can put you in contact with certified contractors from our network
Fences, columns, gates and railings
What are the different materials for fences and how much does it cost on average for these materials and the installation process? Find out in these articles:
- The cost of a brand new fence
- How to maintain and repair outdoors columns
- How to restore aluminum railings
- How to install a guardrail on a balcony
- How to install a driveway gate
- The different types of house gates
French drain, foundations and foundation parging
The building's foundations and plumbing elements must absolutely remain in good shape. Here is a selection of several articles on the subject:
- What is a french drain?
- 10 signs that your foundation needs renovation
- Choosing the right product for your foundation parging
- How to fix and maintain foundation parging
- Why should you waterproof your foundation walls
- How to repair cracked foundation walls
Landscaping is the equivalent of interior decorating for the exterior parts of the house. There are many options for all tastes and budgets. Here are a few ideas to set up your front and backyard:
- How to build a stone wall in your backyard
- Eco-friendly landscaping projects
- Design trends and landscaping tips from RenoQuotes
Brick homes are charming and timeless. In order to remain in good condition, the homeowner must make sure that the walls are well-maintained and that problems such as bulging walls do not appear:
- Price guide: Masonry work and bricklaying
- How to repair mortar joints
- How to replace a damaged brick
- When should you hire a mason?
- Bulging walls- Identify and solve the problem!
Here are some other useful bits of information about landscaping and exterior renovations:
- How to use a pressure washer
- Pressure washers: everything you need to know about them
- 10 factors that affect the price of an excavation project
- 5 easy home improvement projects that make your house look new
- How to build an outdoor kitchen
- Everything you need to know about home saunas
- How to repair and maintain an awning
- Reasons to hire an electrician: outdoor projects
- How to build a shed in your backyard
- 6 shed styles that will help your backyard storage
Paint and stain
In order to ensure that you get durable results with a stain or a paint product applied on an exterior surface, it is important to use good quality products as well as the right techniques:
- How to paint a fence
- Advice and instructions for exterior wall painting
- How to paint a wooden deck
- How to paint concrete
- What products should you use for exterior painting
- How to update your home's facade using paint
Pool and backyard
Whether your backyard is large or small, there are so many options for layouts that you may have a hard time deciding. Here are a few articles that will give you ideas:
- Installing a pool and setting up your backyard
- 3 ideas for organizing your backyard
- Steps to building an inground pool
Roofing materials and renovations
The roof is one of the main structural elements of a home. After all, having a roof over one's head is one of the basic needs that all humans share. The following articles cover maintenance techniques, prices and characteristics for roofing materials:
- 5 reasons to install a green roof on your house
- 5 things to know about TPO and EPDM roofing
- Flat roof maintenance
- How to build a rooftop terrace
- How to repair metal roofing: cost and benefits
- How much does it cost to renovate a roof
- What type of roofing material should you choose?
- Sheet metal roofing maintenance
- The price of sheet metal roofing
- Pros and cons of sheet metal roofing
- Solar roof: are solar shingles the future?
- Why a photovoltaic roof could be right for you
- Why regular roof maintenance is essential
To see examples of landscaping and exterior renovation projects completed by RenoQuotes.com contractors, check out "10 examples of landscaping projects".
Get quotes for your exterior renovation project
RenoQuotes.com can help you get quotes for your exterior renovation project. If you submit your project to us, we’ll put you in contact with top-rated contractors. Fill in the form on the homepage (it only takes a few minutes), and you will receive quotes from companies that are specialized in home renovations.
Are you looking for something else?